Introduction Letter

I am pursuing a bachelor’s degree in digital design to aspire a career in Graphic Design. I am born and raised in New York, and I am Mexican and Ecuadorian. My parents came to New York to pursue a better life, and my father was in the army in Mexico, and he is currently a construction worker. My mother went to work in the Bronx with her family to work in a pillow factory. My parents taught me the value of working hard and not giving up pursuing a better future and to get a stable job. They would tell me the importance of taking advantage of the education that I have and being proud of being the first generation of the family to go to college.
My parents and my grandmother motivated me to work hard, and I would always talk with my grandmother from Mexico by phone. I wanted to meet her in person and the remaining family, the past two years, I traveled to Mexico to meet them. I learned more of my country, and I love how they didn’t have the mentality of how a lady should behave and have to follow a set of rules like the story called “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid. I felt fortunate that I was not raised in the old tradition. My grandmother always wanted me to think for myself and not to follow other’s people footstep. It’s strange my grandmother from Mexico isn’t that way, but my grandmother from Ecuador is, we never connected as a family.
Before I went to City College, I had gone to Wadleigh Secondary School of the Performing and Visual Arts. I was interested in nursing and fine art, and I was not sure at that time what I wanted to pursue as a career, I joined many after-school activities in science and fine art, an opportunity showed up to work in an internship program at Jewish Home Lifecare as a geriatric nurse. I accepted the opportunity and went to the interview, fortunately, I did get accepted into the program.
I got the opportunity to volunteer in another hospital to work with children, I did like the job, but I still felt unconvinced of pursuing a career as a nurse. I spoke with my art teacher about it, and I told him that I am interested in fine art, but I wasn’t sure exactly what to pursue in the art field. He wanted me to take a graphic design class to see if it’s something I would be interested. I did enjoy the course, and it was a starting point that I felt assured of pursuing a career in graphic design. My objective is to speak more languages and to gain experience in graphic design to work in an advertising company or to start a business. I am multilingual; I can speak English and Spanish fluently; my mandarin level is intermediate. I can write, read and understand Mandarin. I am continuing taking Mandarin class at the Chinese Language Academy on Saturday to further enhance my speaking, writing, and reading skills to become proficient in the language.
In City College, I want to do my best to learn the materials in every class and maintain a good GPA to attend graduate school, and hopefully, I can get a scholarship. I like reading books which are based on true stories; I feel like I can connect with some authors. I still have a few flosses in writing essays, and I want to express myself more clearly and have an organized essay for readers to have a clear and a good understanding of the topic. I am hoping throughout the semester to improve on my writing skills and participation, I do not participate as often as I should, and I want to overcome my shyness in public speaking and to express my thoughts to students and the professor. Hopefully, by the end of the semester, I complete all the requirements to pass the class and finish the Spring semester with a better understanding of the steps to write a good essay.

Formal Letter of Introduction