In-Class Essay

Self-Teaching is the path to Success

Schools are part of the learning process for students to learn to read, write, but it changes when it becomes an uncomfortable environment for a minority race. Students think minority group of races are not smart and are excluded of the learning process of receiving an education. People of Hispanic, Indian or black ethnic background are observed as uneducated and “dumb.” However, people come from different countries and are taught differently than in the United States. People have to broaden their knowledge of learning other people’s culture instead of judging their language, culture and education background. Students and adults find themselves in a situation not getting the education they deserve; they find their own way to learn on their own. The story I am using is “Superman and Me”, by Sherman Alexis, he is an example of being the target by non-Indian students that bully her for participating in class and students prefer her to pretend to be “dumb” to satisfy their ego. Spokane Indian people are expected not to succeed in a non-Indian world and educated Spokane Indians are seen “Dangerous” by non-native p to be surviving in the eastern Washington state. The autobiography of Malcolm X is the second source to be use for the essay. Malcolm X is a good example of self-education while being in prison, it shows the transitioning state of being a street hustler to a powerful black leader during 1960s.  

Sherman’s father is the key to opening the door to his interest in reading, he is one of the few Indians that went to Catholic School and read books of westerns, spy thriller, murder mysteries, basketball player biographies and a few others. Sherman taught himself at a young age that he is advance in reading than other students in the classroom. Sherman Alexie never imagined that he would become a writer, according to him, “Despite all the books I read, I am still surprised I became a writer. I was going to be a pediatrician.” He presents to be a winner instead of a failure, he didn’t need to learn to read in school, he found a way to motivate and ignore other people’s opinion to succeed in his education and help Indian children to get the education and respect he didn’t get in his childhood.